Saturday, June 16, 2012

My Summer Job

This summer I have taken on a tour guiding position in a United Church in downtown Montreal. As part of this position one day a week I spend researching on a topic of my choice relevant to the church, its history or its outreach. I've chosen to uncover the history of the stained glass windows, as there are a number of beautiful ones designed, painted, and constructed by a variety of different Montreal artists and stained glass companies.

Today I was able to take a few shots of the inside of the church that I thought I would share with you. They are mostly small details because the light wasn't shining in enough in order for me to capture the wider shots of the church, so I'll likely take some more throughout the summer. Anyways, here's my place of work for the next couple of months.






 
 





2 comments:

  1. You are an awesome photographer. I like the glass but I also like the shadowy heads very much. Very nice to see the close-up details of the windows. What's the story with the one that looks like a veil across it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The sculpted faces are quite interesting because apparently they are pagan gods and goddesses (which is a curious subject to sneak into a church's decoration), though you can't really tell from the two I took pictures of. There's another one with what looks like vines of leaves coming out of his mouth that makes its more obvious. As for the window that is slightly covered up, that's actually frosted glass that has worn away on an inside door that you are looking through towards an outside window (I hope that makes sense!). I thought it was a bit of an intriguing view!

      Delete