Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Chad Wys's fragments

Stumbling across the net tonight, I came across an artist who really struck me with his beautiful, traditional portrait paintings done with a twist. Chad Wys is an artist in his late 20s, originally from Illinois. I recommend checking out his website to see a wider range of his works but I've posted a few of my favourites below.

His digital works from the Nocturne series are quite astounding as they are so reminiscent of classical portraiture and yet are retooled into something new, something unfinished, yet the drama still exists. Eyes take on a prominent position as these distorted figures gaze out of the canvas at you, the viewer. The empty spaces that are created instils a simplicity that intensifies the emotion of the sitter. In writing about his own work Wys has explained,

My artwork is also, at its core, an experiment in composition, color, and form. Through a variety of mixed media I have chosen as my inspiration a color palette that is at times complimentary and at other times destructively contradictory. The literal destruction of an object is secondary to the overall effect created by color (dis)harmony and the overall aesthetic of the reclaimed and reinvented object/experience. I openly play with the allure of foreign and aggressive new colors and forms into otherwise familiar and traditional settings. Barriers and obstacles are thereby created between the viewer and the object through which one must negotiate an understanding of what is both present and hidden.







2 comments:

  1. You should look into this more... remember the portrait series we were talking about you doing? If you incorporated the idea of fragments that could be a really interesting transition from classical themes into contemporary art... almost like you're recreating memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really cool idea! I just don't know when I'll ever get the time to actually start on that project, haha.

    ReplyDelete