Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Joys of Procrastination

After finishing to write my massive To Do list yesterday, I felt like I had gotten enough done to spend some time working on a painting (and in doing so, putting off the to do list for yet another day). I recently came across some youtube videos by the artist Michael Shapcott and I fell in love with his method of painting. He takes acrylics and oils and makes them appear to be watercolours in the way he applies them to his canvas.

After watching a number of videos of his work, I decided that I pretty much understood his method (which involves painting a canvas with a white primer, making a detailed pencil sketch on top, applying a fixative to the pencil so it doesn't smear, then applying watered-down paint on top in layers, gradually building up the thickness of the paint and using a cloth to smear paint and create a dripping/blending effect). So, I decided to try it out for myself. As this is my first painting using this method, I learned quite a lot, and there are plenty of things I would like to change in this painting.

But anyways, I thought I would share it, so you can see where my work may be heading in the future (basically more away from the opaque, simply, solid blocks of colour I've been using before).



To be honest, I don't think I'm done yet. I think I may want to go over it a bit, the colours look odd in some areas (most of this was done around 2am, in dim lighting, so only in the daylight was I able to see some of the more glaring problems). But I'm a fan of the vibrant colours, and the way the face looks a lot more realistic then in previous works. Any comments?

2 comments:

  1. working on paintings late at night... i get the cool feeling of doing it :) i also get the next morning mourning mistake-catching process... :)i love the pinks and blues on her skin

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, glad you understand! It's also fun waking up and seeing everywhere you dropped paint on the floor by accident when you weren't looking the night before :P. And yeah, I think the colours are pretty cool too, much more vibrant than my usual works lol

    ReplyDelete