Sunday, June 6, 2010

What is currently inspiring me?

Well, that would have to be the large blank canvas sitting in the corner of my room.



What do I do with it? I've been thinking about this canvas for weeks now. My older sister bought be a large pile of canvases last year for my birthday. I've gone through most of them, and now am left with the more obscure sizes of the collection: many tiny canvases, one oval shaped canvas, and one extremely large canvas.

It's the large canvas that is always at the back of my mind. I want to paint something incredible on it, something epic that is worthy of such a large size, and therefore whenever I have been in the mood to paint something, I've stayed away from this one, saving it for when I have an incredible idea and am ready to finally dive in.



Last night as I drifted off to sleep, it came to me in a moment of clarity - I knew what I would paint. I've been amassing ideas for a while now, ever since a walk to the Old Port in Montreal months ago, when I came across a little gallery on Saint-Paul Ouest. One artist's work in particular spoke to me that day, her work playing with a variety of mediums. I'm a fan of incorporating writing and photography into artwork, giving them more texture, and a whimsical feeling, but this artists takes it to a whole new level.


Dominique uses strong colours, and photographs in her canvases to create abstract, fairy-tale like creations. Her use of gold, and metallic paint, as well as fabrics give her paintings a richness that evokes a child's imagination of what is royalty and reality.

I'll go outside

L'alliance intime

Je pose mon pied sur la route vivante

The mixed media, vibrant colours, and soft themes really spoke to me, and the abstract backgrounds, scripts and patterns gave me ideas for my own work. I am planning on using the mixed media idea (for the eyes and mouth I think I will use either magazine photos or my own photographs, and then the dress will be a wallpaper or wrapping paper print, etc). The next step is to create my rough sketch and then to amass the materials, but at least now I have an idea, and a goal!

I will try to update this blog as I progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment